This is an awesome way to use up leftover bread.
You know all those bread pieces we don’t finish eating?
The top and bottom parts that some of us don’t like eating?
The half eaten bread slices that children nibble on and discard?
- White bread (I used leftover Agege bread and leftover Sliced bread)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (or less)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chili
- Desiccated coconut
- Dried fruits etc
- Butter your nonstick baking pan, set aside
- Stale hard bread is best for this. If your bread is fresh, cut it into cubes, spread on a tray and leave it open to go stale. Anything from 1hour to overnight
- When it is stale, pour all the bread inside a big bowl and set aside
- Put the evaporated milk, sugar and butter in a pot and place on fire. Whisk gently till the butter and sugar melt. Don’t let it boil.
- Remove from fire
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees
- Add all the other ingredients to the milk and butter mixture (the eggs should be last so that the mixture would have cooled down)
- Whisk everything together well and pour over the bread
- Press the bread inside so that everything is covered
- Leave to soak for about 10-15 minutes
- Pour in your buttered baking pan and spread gently
- Sprinkle with any of the optional ingredients, if using
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 mins or till done
- Remove and serve hot
You can serve with vanilla sauce or cream or ice cream
You can substitute the brown sugar with white sugar or honey or date syrup etc
I also have another recipe here that you can make with leftovers.
You know I always say – never throw food away!
That’s why I always find something to make with leftovers